• Upflow fluidised bed single stage reactor with granulation of
anaerobic bacteria as media.
• Reactor consists of tank in RCC of 4 to 6 depth and suitably designed
• Effluent is evenly distributed at bottom and flows up through
a bed of anaerobic
sludge during which degradable matter is digested.
• Dissolved organic matter is removed by anaerobic bacteria.
• This is converted to biogas + new cells.
• Gas formed is collected at top portion by gas liquid solid separator.
• Liquid flows out and any sludge is trapped and flows down back
to the blanket.
• COD Reduction : 80 – 85%
• Biogas generated : 0.5 to 0.55 m3 kg COD reduced
• Detention time : 10-12 hrs
• Organic loading : 4-5 kg/m3
• Anaerobic process thus oxygen from external source not required
and no limitation of a transfer of oxygen which is sparingly soluble.
• Higher loading rate, upto 15 kg/m3, thus area requirement drastically
• Practically no power requirement since no internal mixing /aeration
• Generation of methane rich biogas which can be used to generate
• Minimal sludge production due to higher sludge retention time.
• COD : 2500
• FLOW : 1200 m3/day Dairy Waste
COST ANANLYSIS :
capital cost = C [ i(1+i)n]
(1+i)n – 1
= 54 [0.135 (1.135)15]
= 8.50 lakhs
( C = Capital Cost = Rs. 54 lakhs, i = rate of Interest = 13.5%, n = Life
of reactor = 15 yrs.)
O & M Cost = Rs. 17.5 lakhs /annum
(Manpower + 50 HP+ spare part)
Cost = O& M + Annual Capital
= 17.5 + 8.50 lakhs/annum
= Rs. 26.00 lakhs/annum.
: Recovering is worked out based on 24 hrs. operation of dual
in terms of biogas as = 1200 m3/d x 2 kg/ m3 x 0.54 m3 biogas/COD
generation of power
x 0.8 COD destroyed/Kg x 365
= 3,78,432 m3 of
= 3,78,432 x 1.4
KWH / year
= 5,29,804.8 KWH
/year x Rs. 4.0 /KWH
= Rs. 21.2 lakhs.
Recovery due to water recycling = 300 m3/ day x 25 Rs/ m3 x 365
= Rs. 27.37 lakhs
Payback period = Capital cost / (Recovery in
terms of electricity & water – Annualised cost)
= 54 / (27.37 + 21.2
= 2.5 years.
OF OUR COMPLETED PROJECTS Data
Mahananda Dairy, Goregaon, Mumbai.
• Gokul Dairy,
• National Dairy
Development Board, Bangalore.
Co-Op. Dairy Federation Ltd., Lakhanow, U.P.
• Hassan Dairy,
• Hosakote Dairy,